Thursday, August 02, 2007

design star 1: the design

BEDROOMS

This is clearly the best space. It is a nice color palette. Simple, streamlined, uncluttered.
The walls are graphically interesting and three dimensional. I really like their attention to lighting (with one caveat discussed below).

It was a difficult task given how many beds they needed to get into that room.

The second room is also fine. I like the medallions on the wall.
The colors are a bit of a mish-mash but given all the problems they had working together (more on that later) it turned out better than I expected. The curtains are a very good idea in terms of privacy and light issues. A lot of the designers had a problem with over-accessorizing.

Both bedrooms have some basic practical problems with proper bedside tables and reading lights. I also would have gotten some low baskets or boxes to slide under the bed for storage of a few small items (slippers, tissue, moisterizer, book, pen, sketchbook, nightlight, sex toys, ha ha, etc.).

MAIN FLOOR

First of all, I don't think they did a space plan which was a HUGE MISTAKE.
Is that another eating area at the end of the room? I don't quite understand the layout of the space. It does seem a shame to have used up a cool hanging-out space for dining but I have to admit that it looks nice. I really don't like the lighting fixture.

This is ridiculous. Who is going to use this? It isn't private enough for meditation. It isn't comfortable enough for conversation. And the white covers will get dirty fast. This also falls into the problem of not having a space plan.

My eyes! My eyes! Those pillows are hideous.

The built organic shape is a nice start. But where was it going? Robb was mad at Josh about this but it didn't seem like Robb had any ideas himself. This shows the problem with the group not doing an overall space plan. The space is a yawning empty cavern.

Which leads to the entrance below. The entrance is an entrance. There was nothing more problematic with this space than with any other space on the main floor as it all flowed together into one big confused area.
The problem with this is 1. ugly colors. 2. ugly art. Someone needed to just say that this was going to be too trashy looking. And what they hell is the deal with "The Rats"?? That's just not nice. They are professionals. This looks like some teenager got to turn the unfinished basement into their bedroom.

The bar and stairs: that paint job is awful. Really awful. A real pro would have looked at that wall and known better than to have tried to paint it. Not replacing that hideous light fixture was a major mistake. I don't like the grey and coral palette. Black and red are rather overdone.
What is the problem with these designers and light fixtures? Sparkle and Will were the only ones who paid attention to this. That's very basic. Neerja couldn't find bar stools, didn't replace the light, didn't finish the painting. What was she doing? However, in Neerja's defense: she handled the money and budget and she did that well. We've seen what happens when someone doesn't handle that well.

We now address my two favorite contributions. And by favorite I mean the first items that I would put outside on the curb. First, the skateboard ramp. It appears to be well built. It is finished. However, it is ridiculous. No one else is going to use it. No one else looked at the space and said: "I'm going to make something that only I can use." I can't believe the judges were impressed by this. This is carpentry but how is it interior design? If this is what it takes to impress the judge then half the teenage boys in California can be on Design Star.
I will say this: the hammock is a nice idea in front of all those windows and under the palms but why did he get such a cheap one? He should have gotten a much nicer, more comfortable hammock that is easier to use. And one that is for two. But I suspect this is a dude that hasn't thought much about that sort of thing.

And last of all, and least of all, there is the hanging car door:
WTF?

The fact that Robb is still on the show and Lisa was kicked off is proof that they just want to keep someone on who will create conflict. Lisa was just too nice.

Links:

5 comments:

Vic said...

I also would have gotten some low baskets or boxes to slide under the bed for storage of a few small items (slippers, tissue, moisterizer, book, pen, sketchbook, nightlight, sex toys, ha ha, etc.).

Ah, finally we get to the crux of the matter. That space was filled with tchochtkes - ugly bent vases with no purpose other than as filler. There was no place to put personal items (such as the important one I bolded) in that crowded room. And if you stepped far away, the colors and furniture had a disjointed feel.

Lisa's entry made no sense to me. I know Rats is Star spelled backward, but this was done without irony or a sense of humor. If one must play with words, play a pun them.

And that junk car door? Ha. Haa Haa Haa. Tee hee hee. How High School design class was that?

Now we come to our first area of disagreement, Trixie. Because I am a shallow vixen who adores looking at half naked men who resemble Greek Gods, and because I pander to the lowest common denominator, I would like to keep that darling skateboard ramp painted the color of kaka. The sight of Todd skating, doing handstands, working with his shirt off, and jumping up and down to release boyish energy is a sight I would like to see again and again. I know a skateboard ramp might not have much to do with interior design, but it has everything to do with my libido.

Those harem pillows should go, though. They are truly vile.

kora in hell said...

STAR RATS Duh. Why wasn't that in the same style as the rest? Anyway, I'm with you on the tchochtkes. That place was over accessorized.

I will grant your point about The Todd. And he made a lovely table. He seems cheerful enough. But Robb is just too testosterone-addled. He has to go!

kittens not kids said...

yes, Robb is just too,too much testosterone. and did you notice how many HOURS he took up, getting that dumbass ugly car door??

those pillows, that space, looked like a tween decorating from Claire's Boutique. all it needed was hello kitty and something with a cutesy monkey on it. ugh.

i love Sparkle Josh. the room he and will did was lovely. the skateboard halfpipe was tacky, ugly and dumb.

Todd and Robb are just too damn butch for my tastes (though todd is, i guess, well built - i prefer skinnier, less built boys, myself. ones that are a little more....sparkly?)

eric3000 said...

Oh, I missed the RATS/STAR thing too. I guess we didn't care enough to think too much about it.

I wish there had been some incentive to work together on a cohesive design for the suite, but the challenge just wasn't set up well. And I don't give credit to Neeraja for simply handing everyone a thousand dollars.

Anyway, loved the dining room table and the Josh and Will bedroom.

Anonymous said...

Hi all. How are you?